Saturday, March 26, 2011

fried goodness

wow...I've been a bad blogger this week.  Hope you're still hanging around...

...all five of you lol (I don't count Hubster since he's only following cuz I told him as a good husband he has to)...subliminal message..follow me mkay? please? pretty please? I'll make you something yummy :)

Anyway shameless begging aside...I was bad this week.  I made a horrible SND last week and it soured the whole week for me going forward.  Needless to say my dinners consisted of ramen, lean cuisine and one night a semi-inspired meal of chorizo and spanish rice.  The term TGIF never meant more to me than it did today.  Bad week done, time to start fresh.

And by fresh I of course mean yummy fried goodness!

A couple of weeks ago, a dear friend suggested an evening of appetizers and board games.  With an emphatic 'yes!' I hemmed and hawed over what 2 appetizers I would make.  I dug deep and came up with fried wontons with dipping sauce and potato cheese croquettes (because I love potatoes and well what's better than a crispy pocket filled with creamy potatoes and cheese?...well maybe the creamy potatoes and cheese with bacon...mmm).  Anyway, here's the recipe for the wontons

Because you can't spell Friday without FRI-ed wontons




Ingredients
Wontons
1/4 lb ground pork
1/4 lb ground turkey
1 small onion chopped
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp white pepper
3 TBS low sodium soy sauce
wonton wrappers
1 can water chestnuts
1 egg
Peanut oil (or other oil with high heat index)

Dipping sauce recipe from here
12 oz apricot preserve
4 tsp yellow mustard
4 TBS teriyaki sauce

In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground pork, turkey and onions until the meat is no longer pink. 


Drain and transfer the cooked meat to a heat safe bowl.

Chop the water chestnuts and add to the meat.  Stir in the ground ginger, soy sauce and white pepper.


Now it's time to wrap!

Crack one egg and separate the white from the yolk.  Using your finger, brush some egg white onto the edges of one side of the wonton wrapper.  Spoon a small amount of stuffing into the center of the square.  Be careful not to put too much or else when you fry them the stuffing will burst out.



Fold the bottom corner up to meet the top corner so you're left with a triangle.



Make sure the ends meet and seal tight..you don't want any of that yummy stuffing escaping!

You can either leave in these triangles and cook, or you can wrap the bottom corners of the triangle around and fold into a shape that kind of resembles some Georgia O'Keeffe paintings.



In a small pot, pour enough oil so that the wontons will be submerged and heat over a medium high heat.  Once the oil is hot enough, drop in your wontons, a few at a time (depending on how small your pot is).  Fry until golden brown and then transfer to a towel.


For the sauce, just blend all the ingredients together. Serve the sauce alongside the wontons and enjoy!

I will also be posting the recipe for the potato and cheese croquettes.

Oh it's good to be back!

{ cindie }

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yummy! Sounds delicious!

Post a Comment