Tuesday, March 15, 2011

feeling hot! hot! hot!

I have a secret.

Sometimes I like nights where I cook for just myself.

Why? Because I love spicy food.  I love food that is so spicy it puts you on the brink of pain...just on the brink.

Hubster can't handle my spice.  Can't even come near it.  That makes me sad 

Mmm...spicy!

This is Hubster & I enjoying a spicy meal.  Note the flames coming out of his mouth and my blissful smile (from the meal...not the fact that my hubbers' mouth is ablaze).  Also note...even in cartoon form I have a large head.
Umm...too spicy?
oh....














cest la vie...the sacrifices we make for love.

But on the nights where it's just me and my belly I like to play a little game called 'I like my food hot and I can't drink milk to counter the heat so how many chilies can I take' ... ok I'm working on the game title.  Anyway here's a recipe I like to call:

Quickie Spicy Bowties
(because it's short and to the point)


Recipe inspired by the pantry and my hankering for something spicy

Ingredients


1.5 cups dry Farfalle pasta
3 TBS olive oil (plus extra if you like)
fresh basil
3 cloves garlic
handful of mini sweet tomatoes on the vine
salt
dried chili de arbole (optional)



Cook pasta until al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, thinly slice the garlic cloves, wash and halve the tomatoes, and chop the basil.


If you're using them, decide how many chilis you want to use.  Remember, you can always add heat, but it's not so easy to take away.  Ok, you've been warned.  For reference, I used about 6 chilis.

Once the pasta has cooked, drain.  Add a little bit of olive oil to the pasta so it doesn't stick together.

In a sautee pan on medium high heat, heat the olive oil.  Add the garlic and stir around for about 30 seconds.  Then add the chilis (if you're using them).  Let the chili, garlic and oil mixture cook for about 45 seconds.

smells soooo good!

Lower the heat, add the cooked pasta, halved tomatoes and chopped basil and toss to make sure everything gets coated with the garlic and chili oil.  If it looks a little dry to you, drizzle with some extra olive oil.  Let cook for a few minutes to warm everything.


Salt to taste.  Spoon yourself a bowl, open up a beer (or beverage of your liking) and enjoy!

Mmmm...spicy goodness!

{ cindie }

0 comments:

Post a Comment