Tuesday, March 29, 2011

one potato, two potato...

Mmmm....potatoes

One of my best friends once gave me the nickname 'My little potato'.  

Hubster has called me more than once 'Queen of Potatoes' and refers to potatoes as my subjects.  


While some might think that a nickname like 'potato' or being referenced as 'Queen of Potatoes' might be an insult because potatoes are round and stumpy, I actually embrace those nicknames.  Because I love potatoes that much.  I love them so much that had I thought of it before our wedding 'theme' was established, I would have wanted a Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head in tux and gown as our cake topper.  To be honest...I still totally want them just to have and display in our house.

As promised, here's the recipe for the yummy potato and cheese croquettes!

Potato and Cheese Croquettes with Chipotle dipping sauce


Ingredients 
*Croquettes
Chilled mashed potatoes (I use Yukon gold potatoes because they are super creamy!)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBS chives chopped
1 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 small shallot finely diced
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup Panko
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Peanut oil (or other oil with high heat index)

*Dipping sauce
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
1/2 cup light mayonaisse
1/8 cup ketchup
juice from 1/2 a lime
1 garlic clove finely minced
salt & pepper
fresh parsely, chopped

Combine the first 6 ingredients and 1 egg.


Using a spoon (or a cookie drop scoop as I did), scoop golf sized balls of the potatoes.  If you have time, chill the potato balls for at least 30 minutes.

Heavenly balls of potatoes and cheese!!!

Prepare three bowls for breading the potatoes.  In one bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and chipotle powder.  In the second bowl combine the remaining 2 eggs and milk.  In the third bowl combine the Panko and seasoned bread crumbs.

 

Dredge the potato balls (hehe) in first the flour mixture, then the egg, then the panko and breadcrumbs.



Once you have been breaded all the potato balls, heat the oil in a small pot over medium/low heat.  In batches, carefully drop the breaded potato balls in the hot oil.  Adjust the heat as needed.  Transfer the cooked croquettes onto a paper towel to drain (or if you have a handled strainer you can strain them over the pot of oil).

Whip together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce, saving the parsely to garnish the finished sauce.

Enjoy!

{ cindie }

Btw...I HATE sweet potatoes.  Loathe them.  They are only distant cousins to the potato and yet try to impersonate them by taking their last name..sneaky sneaky yam.

0 comments:

Post a Comment